There are many therapies being used to treat mental health problems. Can you think about a therapy that can prevent mental health problems? The only answer is meditation.
Meditation, especially mindfulness meditation is being used to increase the well-being of people all over the world. But why the majority of people are not practicing meditation? Here are the most common reasons.
- Lack of knowledge about various types of meditations. People need to know the most suitable type of meditation for themselves. Knowledge is the key. One type is not suitable for all people.
- Think it is too hard. This is mainly due to a lack of knowledge of meditation.
- Start and give-up soon as results are not visible.
- Not having someone knowledgeable to ask questions before and during meditation practice.
Few tips if you are planning to start meditation
- Learn as much as possible. Learn various types of meditations and decide which is the best for you based on your personality and lifestyle.
- Always have an experienced meditation teacher.
- Don’t rush. Go slowly. You may not see results immediately. It can take time.
- Start with few minutes a day. This is the only way to guarantee you are not going to give up.
A simple meditation for beginners and for those who have started and given-up meditation
You may have given-up meditation for various reasons. The most common reason is either too hard or no time.
Try this simple meditation. You can do this in any place. Don’t do it when you are driving or operating machinery. You don’t need to close your eyes.
Take your palm closer to your nose. You should feel the air on your palm when you exhale. Start counting each time when you feel the air coming out of your nose. Count 1..2..3 up to 10 times and then stop. As you can see, this exercise will take only about 15 seconds. Your objective is to pay attention to your palm and stay focused. There is a possibility that suddenly your mind may think about something else. That’s ok.
Repeat this exercise whenever you have time. Just about 15 seconds at a time. This simple meditation is so powerful that it will put the foundation inside your mind to stay focused. It will help to begin your meditation journey.
The above is one of many meditation exercises that are very easy to learn and suitable for beginners. You can find more methods on mindfulness meditation for beginners website.
When can you see results?
The benefits of meditation are not highly visible immediately. It doesn’t mean that nothing happens immediately. Changes are happening initially at the neuro or cellular level. They are not visible. However, very powerful. The key is to keep practicing. Never give up.
The main purpose of learning and practicing meditation is to apply meditation practice to your daily life. Especially to manage stress, control anger, increase focus, etc. In the end, it will help to maintain your mental health and wellbeing.